To be able to administrative Office 365 and/or SharePoint, the user needs to be assigned one of these 2 administrative roles in Azure:
- SharePoint administrator – can manage all aspects of the SharePoint service
- Global administrator – can manage all aspects of Azure AD and Microsoft services that use Azure AD identities, including SharePoint
Follow these steps to assign any of these roles in Azure:
- Go to Microsoft 365 admin center’s active users’ list.
- Open the profile card for the user that you want to assign an administrative role to, and select “Assigned roles”, in the left navigation:
- On the “Assigned roles” pane, click on the “Add assignments” function:
- In the “Directory roles” pane, search for the role that you want to assign, select the role and click on the “Add” button.
- The assigned role(s) will now be shown as administrative roles:
If you later want to remove a role, just select it and click on the “Remove assignments” function.